By. Michael Condra & Eileen Harris
human-I-T received a $5,000 grant from the Best Buy Foundation. This grant will help us provide vocational training to youth (aged 13-18) who will learn to help repair computer hardware for our donation recipients. The impact from this grant will help with:
- Increased STEM skills: Students will walk away with the technical knowledge to repair computer hardware
- Job opportunities: Students acquire a marketable and lucrative skillset that is in high-demand today.
- Open a roadmap for a career: Students gain a broader understanding of different careers that exist and gain connections with potential employers
- Sense of accomplishment: Students walk away with satisfaction that they gain skills while assisting low-income people.
- Sense of hope: The staff at human-I-T is incredibly diverse. Over 75% of our team is a person of color. The STEM field has struggled with a lack of diverse representation and human-I-T has succeeded in this area. Our staff serve as role models to underrepresented populations, allowing youth to see themselves represented in the field.
Ultimately, our aim to motivate at-risk teenagers with the knowledge and skills that will inspire future education and career ambitions. We look forward to providing a work experience program that introduces underserved teenagers to opportunities in STEM fields and empowers them with lucrative skills.
About Best Buy Foundation Best Buy Foundation donates up to $2 million in Community Grants to local and regional nonprofit partners offering programs that create hands-on access to technology education and tools that teens will need to be successful in their future schooling and careers. Programs will include hands-on learning opportunities and engage the youth in experimenting, and interacting with the latest technologies to build 21st century skills. The overall goal is to provide underserved teens with access to new technologies and help them become interested and fluent in digital learning while developing skills to help better prepare them for future education and career success.
About human I-T human-I-T is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that fixes donated technology and redistributes to low-income individuals and nonprofits. With the generosity of businesses and individuals, human-I-T equips our recipients with resources to excel in the digital age: free technology and digital literacy training, as well as low-cost internet solutions. human-I-T practices reusing electronics rather than recycling, breathing new life into your old devices and converting E-waste into opportunities for others. How can you make an impact? Click here to learn more about our programs and see how you can help those in need by making a monetary or technology donation.